Friday, April 20, 2007

A Taste of Freedom

Fourteen consecutive days of doing life from a recliner--your leg elevated to your earlobe--no ESPN or even basic cable for that matter...it's enough to drive anyone crazy!! I thank God for this easy-chair, but when I'm finally able to walk again, I'm going to drag it out to the backyard, douse it with gasoline, and watch it go up in flames!! We'll sing a song of celebration as we sacrifice this piece of furniture, marking the end of my frustration and the beginning of a new season. Oh to be able to walk!! When I'm able to put both feet on the ground, I'll never again complain when Rachel asks me to get up and pour her a glass of water.

It's confession time. Many of you have been injured before and know what it's like to lose mobility. In a sense, it's like being stripped of part of your independence. Don't you hate having to depend on everyone for everything? While talking on the phone with my mom (who lives outside of Dallas) yesterday, I found out she was at the Sonic drive-in. Instantly, I got a craving for a Sonic burger. It was lunchtime, and I made a decision--my hunting and gathering instincts kicked in. Ten minutes later I was driving down Hwy. 42 with both windows down, radio on, crutches in the Tahoe, and my leg propped up on the passenger seat! I felt like a man for the first time in 2 weeks!

I wish I could describe to you the joy I felt!! FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!! Out of that recliner, out of the house, wind in my face, and all the horse-power my broken leg could handle!! I was going to exercise my drive-thru right as an American man...Me want Sonic burger--me go and get Sonic burger! Being a carnivore never felt better! Though I still have a long recovery ahead of me, it was therapy to taste the freedom of full mobility again!

Now, this needs to be our little secret. Rachel is still in London, England, right now and doesn't need to know anything about this! Can I trust you to keep this just between us? Mikaela, who couldn't keep a secret if her life depended on it, has assured me that my solo Sonic-run is safe with her...never-mind the fact that she has already told all the neighbors!

5 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie Musso said...

So...how was the burger? Did you get bacon and chees on it? Tots or fries? Did you round it off with a chocolate malt? Hope you enjoyed it!
Continue the healing process with the help of our #1 Physician!
Love,
Momma Moose

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Yeah!!!! That's what I'm talking about, except when your wife is around.... Anyway, T.O. did good at Late Night, and everyone is missing you! Hurry, come back to us!!!!

 
At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard about your kickball accident sat night at latenite! I am praying for your speedy recovery!! I just started walking again a month ago after surgery in Jan, so if I can do it you can too!! Get well soon!

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Pastor Mike,

vote NO!!!!!

http://refugejturn.blogspot.com/2007/04/dont-do-it-griffis.html

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mike know what u mean with all my back surgeries i have felt the same things u write about but i had beetsie with me all the way......u need rachal home and doing the serve thing for her husband......beets always makes it go better for me...time passes and god heals ...whats with no espn?????gary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home