Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Birthday Surprise

No one told me that being 33 years old could be so much fun! I've been holding onto my youth for as long as I can, but I'm slowly losing my grip. Against my will, maturity is trying to overtake me. Last week was my birthday, and I got the surprise of a lifetime. I pulled into our driveway after a long day at the office, and the girls were playing outside. Rachel wanted me to open a couple of gifts (new shirts) so I could wear one to church later that night. With the video camera in my face and the girls telling me how great I looked, I felt like a movie star!

There was one small bag left to open--a bag with some pictures in it...sonogram pictures! I felt my heart rate begin to increase. "What is this?" I asked nervously. "I don't understand. Your doctor's appointment isn't until next week!" With a smile on her face and the video camera in mine, Rachel said, "Look at it! What does it say?" Alexa ran over to where I was sitting and shouted, "Look what it says right here Dad...it says BOY!" I was shaking like a leaf.

"What!?! Are you...are you...are you kidding me?" It was a matrix moment--complete shock and awe. Rachel confirmed, "You're looking at the sonogram pictures of your new son!" Immediately Alexa buried her face in my shoulder and cried, "Oh Daddy, it's baby Trevor...just like we always wanted!" There was a shout that rose up from Jefferson Crossing subdivision that day and set off every car and house alarm within a 10 mile radius! That was a week ago, and I still haven't recovered. Every day I pull out those sonogram pics and review them myself.

It's one thing to be happy and celebrate a personal victory--but to have an entire church and faith community sharing in your joy, brings the excitement to a whole new level. We've already received some baby boy gifts--it's strange to see a blue bib that says, "I play sports with Daddy." I even went to my office the next morning to find it completely tricked out--blue breath mints and bubble gum cigars for everyone (thank you Lisa Mac and Molly White)! A big thank you to all of our family and friends for making this whole journey incredible. Without your faith-filled prayers, I might be paying for 3 weddings instead of just 2!

I reminded Rachel the other day, "Baby, we're having a boy...B-O-Y...so don't turn him into some wimpy little girly-man. I don't want to see lace, pink, or rhinestones in his room. We need camouflage, footballs, and a deer head on the wall!"

5 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger tallie lea said...

Congratulations!!! I have tears in my eyes just reading this! I am so happy for you guys!
Tallie

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so happy to hear this for you!! I know how bad you've wanted some testrone in the house! Congratulations Mike! you will be a great role model for him.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
I am thrilled that our family circle is growing. As your mo ant...I speak blessings on your family. I have already been praying for Trevor Michael Haman!!! We are excited with you and share your joy. Way to go!!!

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger AdoptedAsHisOwn said...

Congratulations, Mike!!!!!!!!!!
The prayers that take the longest to get answered, the ones that we cried out to God for many times over are the most sweetest, the most incredible times of our life. There is just something Godly about the "wait," don't you think?

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations...Mike and I are incredibly happy for you and the family! We hope all is going well and we send blessings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home