Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Defining Moments in Dallas

Last weekend, I traveled to Dallas, Texas, and had the opportunity to minister at Valley Creek Church's "Men of God" conference. Chris Boniol, my good friend and men's director at VCC, worked like crazy to put together this experience that would change men's lives forever. Nearly 250 guys took time away from their families and busy schedules and dedicated themslelves to becoming the men God intended.

The food was fantastic, the worship was strong, and the table discussion was rich! It's amazing what can happen when men possess the courage to be honest with God and with each other. I was so impressed with the number of small groups each man could get involved with. Friday night, I taught on overcoming temptation, and tried to expose some of the lies and tricks the devil uses to keep so many men in bondage. I saw grown men who had struggled with a lifetime of condemnation and shame, opening their hearts to a Divine love that could set them free. It was awesome! The next day we talked about building integrity and becoming men God could use.

I stayed through Sunday and ministered at all 4 weekend services...it was a blast! Lives were transformed, and many people made decisions for Christ. Pastor Kevin Evans and his family are dynamite--even though he did give me a hard time for being an LSU Tiger fan. God Himself loves LSU, since purple and gold are significant Biblical colors: purple is the color of royalty (King Jesus), and gold...well the streets in heaven are made of that stuff! I had to remind all those Longhorn fans that anytime you read about cattle in scripture, it was always sacrificed on an altar! Come on baby!!! Go Tigers!

A big thank you to all the great people at Valley Creek for making my weekend unforgettable. Vic--thanks for making me feel like Doug Flutie throwing a last-second touchdown pass in the YMCA end zone; Cedric--you're more than just an entertainer, you're the king of music theory; Dean--the joy of the Lord is written all over you face; Chris--my tag-team partner in wrestling with microphone wires 6 times in 48 hours; Ben--I love your passion...and your power to lift telephone poles; Connie--thanks for your patience...we Cajuns don't think real fast! Boniol--you and your family are the best...thanks for letting me stay at your estate; Pastor K--you are blessed with some amazing people, and it all flows from your heart for them!!!

2 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Beck Payne said...

Mike,

You are hilarious! I love reading your stuff.

Beck Payne

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

Good stuff...way to stick up for the Tigers and allow God to use you to change lives all in the same weekend!!! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home