Thursday, February 01, 2007

Taking it to the Streets

Last night was an eye-opening experience for me. We've been praying and fasting for the past several weeks and have really sensed God stirring a revolution in our hearts. I've always heard it said that God comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable, so a group of us met in the prayer room at 10pm and decided to push past the limits of our comfort and safety. Nine of us bundled up in several layers of clothes, packed some blankets and toiletries to give away, and headed to the inner-city to minister to our homeless brothers and sisters. As a pastor, I can't just study the Gospel...I must live it.

We were on a mission to do more than just talk about our love for the poor--we had to touch and experience Jesus in the pain of our streets. When we first arrived downtown, we were all buzzing with excitement. It kind of felt like the first night of youth camp. All guys, full of adventure--we had no idea what to expect. Rain and 40 degree weather brought the harsh reality of street life to us real fast!! We gave out our blankets and the items we brought with us to the few we met on the streets. Most of the homeless were already in shelters or slept in the post office.

After walking to every over-pass and bridge we could find, we finally stopped at an abandoned storefront and claimed a section of sidewalk to rest. With the background noise of a bad night of karaoki from the bar down the street, we talked about how good our lives really are. We considered the brokenness and plight of the poor in our community. It just made sense for us to stay there all night.

I learned quickly, there's just no easy way for your body to get comfortable on cement. I shivered in the cold as I checked my cell phone for the time...it was only 2am and had already been a long night. I thought about my wife and children in their warm beds. I thought about the hot shower I take every night. I thought about the snacks in my pantry and the food in my refrigerator. I thought about the truck I could walk to and easily drive to my suburban home, putting this painful experience behind me. I wanted to wimp out. I heard every street noise you could possibly imagine. I was afraid of getting hurt. I wanted something to drink. My stomach was growling. I didn't even have a pillow or blanket. I couldn't sleep a wink...I was miserable!

But a Voice was talking to me on the inside--a familiar Voice that I recognized. I began to hear the Heartbeat of Heaven on the streets, "Foxes have holes and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head. Don't just worship a Homeless Man on Sunday and ignore one on Monday. Remember this feeling. Drink of this pain. The poor are My priority."

The 6 hours on that sidewalk were rough. Time seemed to drag. All of us were exhausted, but we all grew that night. We were not the same people that left the prayer room just 6 hours prior--a transformation had taken place in us. When 5am rolled around, we were grateful for our families, our jobs, our beds, and the opportunity God has given us to help those who are hurting. Can there be anything greater to give your life to?!

5 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

Wow...what can I say? Powerful stuff!

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Carole Turner said...

Oh my, that one made me tear up. I'm gonna have to link to it on my blog.

Thanks for all you do!
Carole

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
Like I tell everybody I talk to...you guys are the real deal! I was so moved by what you guys did that I am sharing it with my team. And the statement about worshipping a homeless man on Sunday and not reaching out to one on Monday made me repent! You have got to get down here and preach again for us!
Joel

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slammin blog and post. There si just one thing missing on your blog........The link to my blog. How you gonna keep the Country Boy down. It's all good though I still love ya.
timmy

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Joseph & Cheri LeBlanc said...

This truly shows that you guys will go the 2nd mile. Your night of suffering will benefit all of us who serve under you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home