Sunday, April 15, 2007

Recovery

I'm learning some interesting lessons about myself and the world around me during this time of healing and recovery. Looking at life through this lens has given me such a different perspective. Sometimes God has to put you flat on your back in order for you to look up...literally! I have quickly realized that I'm not a very patient guy. I prayed that God would hurry up and teach me patience, but I'm discovering that it can be a very slow, grueling process. It's funny, but I measure patience by a stop-watch...He measures it by a calendar!

I'm kinda like a sports car--built for speed. I love accelerated growth and can change on a dime. I thrive on high-octane ministry and performance. I want my schedule to be full and my daily goals accomplished in record time...all for the glory of the Lord, of course! Like a true redneck, my sports car has been totalled and is up on cinder blocks out in the back yard. Tall grass has grown all around me, and I feel like I'm rusting out in the rain. My racing days are temporarily gone...could this be for the glory of the Lord too? It only took God 6 days to create everything we see...I believe He's taking the next 6 weeks to create something amazing in me.

With my legged propped up on pillows and my Hydrocodone within reach, I was reading Paul's letter to the Philippian church. These words slid into my spirit like a 33 year-old man would slide into home plate during a game of backyard kickball: "Dear brothers and sisters, I want you to know everything that has happened to me has helped to spread the Good News" (Phil. 1:12). Wow! Paul wasn't sitting on a balcony, overlooking some beautiful beach, watching the sun go down, drinking a lemonade with one of those little umbrellas in his glass. He was writing these words from a prison cell...encouraging others through his suffering and injustice.

I want the same spirit Paul had--knowing that God will use everything in my life (both good & bad, victory & tragedy) to move the Gospel forward. When I don't have answers to all my questions, at least I have His presence...and that's all I really need! If God will get glory from a broken leg and limited mobility, then I should feel honored to wear a cast and struggle on crutches for the next 6 weeks for Him. Job said the same thing in the middle of his calamity: "the Lord gives and He takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord" (Job 1:21).

Perhaps the most significant thing I have experienced since being knocked out of the race put up on blocks has been the response of the Church. I am completely overwhelmed by the amazing love and concern my family of faith has shown. You have no idea the kind of impact your calls, visits, meals, emails, and encouragement have made on me personally. I'm so used to being on the giving end, it's hard to adjust to being the recipient of that kind of compassion. You have truly ministered Jesus to me. I see Him in your eyes, I feel Him in your touch, I even taste Him in your casseroles! Thank you!

Oh, by the way, I even had a group of "professional" international kickball players hear about my injury and come visit me last week! Recognize any of these jokers??!! And check out the toes at the bottom of the picture...those little piggies are mine!

4 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

You know pastor Mike; I think those "Professional" kickball players probably wouldn't have had a chance againse your girls in a game of kickball! :P Hope you continue to get well, and we will praying for a speedy recovery!

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, even a broken leg won't keep the Hamanator out of commission very long...drink it in big boy, life is full of broken bones, it's how God puts them back together that matters most!

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MIKE ...BEETSIE AND I ARE SORRY ABOUT YOUR LEG.....BUT WHAT REALLY COUNTS DID YOU DAUGHTER WIN THE GAME ONLY KIDDING ...CHERISH THOSE MOMENTS WHILE SHE IS SMALL ENOUGH TO PLAY....SHE WILL BE GROWN AND GONE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT ..WE LOVE YOU MAN,,TAKE ANOTHER PILL AND CHILL,,,,GARY

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger MorningSong said...

Hi Mike! First our congrats on the news of your little boy on the way!! We are so excited for you! Our boy is all boy and SUCH a blast! Thankfully our daughter is tough because he loves to tackle! :o) Hope your recovery goes well! I am always amazed at my pastor friends view of their life moments. I do not think I would have found a way to see God in a broken ankle. Thanks for the perspective!
Steve & Melodye

 

Post a Comment

<< Home