Friday, March 31, 2006

Extreme Makeover



Cool story. When I first met Michelle, her life was a wreck--one disappointment after another. She had no job, no money, no family within 1000 miles, and she was living out of her car. In a pile of broken pieces, she made her way to Healing Place Church. Immediately, we adopted her into our family and reached out to her HPC-style. With the help of the Holy Spirit and some caring people, Michelle's life turned a major corner...isn't it amazing how the love of God can transform a person's life!

She took a job that allowed her to travel the world, but she always stayed in touch. In a short time, she met a guy and had fallen in love. They made plans to be married in Louisiana this past August, but a major storm in the Gulf had other arrangements. Katrina destroyed more than houses and property--it also destroyed hopes and dreams. Michelle and her fiance Paul relocated to Ft. Lauderdale with the desire to start over. After months of planning a second wedding, they were once again met with another hurricane--this time named Wilma. With two strikes against them, they were beginning to wonder what God was trying to tell them!

Instead of giving up, they dug their heels in and decided that the power of love could overcome any storm. In the meantime, ABC's tv show "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" picked up the news of their heartbreaking journey and wanted to surprise them with the wedding of their dreams. A few weeks later, some of us flew to Miami to be a part of this historic celebration. I had the wonderful privilege of officiating the wedding and Earl Rentz and his family all stood in it! The show aired last night on ABC, and it was a testimony to the resilliance of a people and the power of God's everlasting love.


Thank you, Paul and Michelle, for the opportunity to play a small part in what Jesus Christ has done in your lives! Thank you "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" for placing hope within reach to so many people! The credit belongs to you, the glory belongs to God, and the privilege is all mine!

8 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Haman-
I am giving you an F for not posting this before the show so that I could watch. Tell Rachel Hi!
Melissa Hunter

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Haman-
I am giving you an F for not posting this before the show so that I could watch. Tell Rachel Hi!
Melissa Hunter

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

I agree with Melissa...even though I couldn't have watched it here, I could have had someone Tivo it for me back home...well hopefully Rachel either taped it or Tivoed it =) What an awesome God we serve!!!

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Pastor mike.
I watch Extreme makeover most of the time. and they ran a trailer for some of the gulf coast stories, I say a wedding, and then I was like that was Pastor Mike. No one in my family believed me, so Thursday I turned on the TV and sure enough there you were. Great job. I'm glad that you all were able to rub shoulders with everyone.

Amy

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you an T.V. and freeked out! It has been so long since I have seen you. You looked great. I was of course in tears then I saw you and really fel apart. Its ok I always cry at that show. Love you guys!!

Amy Hawes

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is amazing -- no one believed me that was my old pastor on the show...i am so glad that you and hpc got to be a part..i saw even other hpc'ers like kristan rentz and her family. God is good..and HE is good all the time.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Carole Turner said...

I am so mad! Why didn't they say anything at church so we could know to watch it!? I usually catch the Sunday night shows but I haven't been able to catch the Thursday ones. I was so upset that I didn't know you were on there.
I met Ty Penington when he was on Trading Spaces in Mc Allen Tx. He was staying at the Embasy Suites where we were also staying and he would come down for the continental breakfast. He looked exactly the same in real life as on the show. We didn't talk though and the picture I took had my thumb over it!! Please answer a few questions; do you think he is a Christian? Is he nice? Do they really do the house in a week? Whate are the other cast members like? How much do you not see? Please, I am a huge fan of the show and I am so very interested in hearing all about your experience. Thanks, Carole

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi pastor and my hpc family just dropping a line here on 2nd mile. Please be patient with me this is my first time so my form my not be the best. wow the 2nd mile. what a title, speaks volumes to were i am, only thing is the second kinda looks like the first. you know the holy ghost boot camp of obedience and surrender what a ride. but any how i just wanted to drop line on the current series we are in HOUSE, and how its confirmed what God has spoken in my 2nd mile, he took me to the life of david, and in the creek bed were david retrieved the stones and to my heart he said "i have plenty of davids" of course speaking to my situation " what i don't have are stones, will you be a stone to the davids i have placed in your life, the leadership in your life, will you stay in the flow so i can smooth you. can i place you in the shepards bag until i need you, this is representive of my second mile. Ponder this: a stone, not a boulder, was used in this battle that set the tone for what God wanted to do in the earth at that moment, its only description smooth, the only headline it received, sunk into the head of the gaints. and with no disrespect to all those in the middle east, God is looking for WMDs(weapons of mass destruction)Stones in the hand of david, stones in the hand of christ, stones in the hand of God. Will he reach into his bag at anytime, to find me there, when its time for battle. i say yes to that opportunity. These comments are to celebrate the Davids in my life My pastors and the leaders of hpc, and affirmation of my committment to the vision of this HOUSE.(wow didn't see that ending coming) P.S stones of david how bout that for a life group.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home