Thursday, March 09, 2006

Birthday Blessings

Yesterday was my 32nd birthday, and I was greeted with an early morning song by my 2 daughters. Mikaela (my 3 year old) didn't want me to have all the fun, so she immediately decided it was her birthday too! Wouldn't it be cool if you could wake up and decide whether or not to have a birthday that day? The older I get the more appealing it becomes to not have birthdays!! Is it just me, or does time seem to acclerate with age?! It feels like I was just getting used to the idea of being in my 30's last week.

I received calls and cards from all of my family (I especially liked the cards with money in them!). Somebody once said that from the ages 0-18 you need good parents. From 18-30 you need good looks. From 30-50 you need a good personality. But if you're over 50 all you need is cash!! I'm not 50 yet, but cash works for me! I'm not an emotional person, but the sentimental cards brought tears to my eyes...I guess you get sappy when you get old!

Rachel hit the ground running, dragging me to every store and shopping mall within a 20 mile radius of our house. I had a hard time keeping up with her and had to actually stop and ask myself, "Wait a minute...who's birthday is it?" Her mission--a difficult and daunting task--is to keep me dressed in current fashion. I opt for comfort and consistency...it's too hard for me to keep up with the latest trends. There comes a time in every man's life, when the fashion train he's on comes to a stop, and he decides it's time to get off. My train stopped a long time ago! Thank God for a wife with style!!

One of the highlights of my day was when I picked Alexa (my 2nd grader) up from school. She made me a birthday "booklet" out of construction paper--I was impressed with her creativity and proud of her artwork. In this booklet, she told me she was glad that I let her friends come over to play and that I married such a wonderful mommy...at least I know where I stand! She included that she was glad to be a preacher's daughter--I hope she still feels this way when she's 17!!

Thank you Late Nite for my birthday surprise--the cookie cake and sweet tea won't last very long at my house. I'm grateful for 32 years of life and pray that God will give me the grace and strength to serve him for another 32!!

1 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Master Baron Von Tuckenstein the First Esquire said...

Happy birthday Mike. I agree with your sentiment that things keep getting faster. I am turning 24 on Friday, and I can't believe how fast this year went.

I hope that this year God blesses you with the things that you need, and maybe even something that you want.

Any chance you make a surprise visit to the men's OT life group sometime?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home