Thursday, December 15, 2005

Whoopie! Hallelujah!

On Tuesday, I had the incredible privilege of serving my family by honoring the life of my Paw Paw at his funeral. After 93 wonderful years, he breathed his last and went home to be with Jesus. He and my grandma had been married for 68 years and together raised 4 beautiful daughters...and I thought I was surrounded by women! I preached his funeral from his own Bible, which was given to him in 1949. The markings in that Bible marked the priorities of his life--prayer, praise, family, and faith. He was a barber for decades and earned a living charging $1.00 per cut. He stood many hours, cutting a lot of hair just to feed 4 little girls at the house. Being a long-time barber with an expert eye, he always had something to say about my own hair...it never was cut exactly right...until the day I introduced him to my wife, Rachel. He saw how beautiful she was and never had another critical thing to say about my hair!!

He was passionate, fully alive, and completely committed to Jesus Christ. He never experienced fame or fortune. He made no great discoveries. He wrote no books and left no great works of art. But he left us something far greater--a legacy of faith and trust in God.

During his final months in the nursing home, Paw Paw rarely talked above a whisper. Yet, the night of his passing during his final moments, he clapped his hands, lifted them to heaven, and shouted "Whoopie!! Hallelujah!!" After that, he slipped off into eternity. He died just like he lived: enjoying life and celebrating Jesus. That's how I want to go when I die--my eyes and my heart set toward heaven.

Paw Paw was not afraid to die because he had already settled the issue of where he would spend eternity. During our last visit, Paw Paw told me, "Mike, I'm on a journey, and I'm enjoying every step!" His journey is over now, and his joy has just begun."

4 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

What a great legacy!

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger agardana said...

What an awesome legacy to follow. I am quite sure your PawPaw was and is very proud of you, Mike. Continue the march!

Stacie

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

Doing a search on somethings and came across your website. Looks very cool. I just though I would drop a line since we have the same name. Feel free to checkout my site at a great christmas. www.backspinproductions.com. Have

Mike Haman from ND

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
What an awesome message you gave that day! Paw Paw went out in a blaze of glory and that memory will carry us through the years until at last - someday - our dream will come true too. Thank you for being a wonderful nephew to me and grandson to my daddy. We love and respect you so very much!
Aunt Martha - one of the mo ants...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home