Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Power of Generosity

Wow! Where has the time gone? It has been over 2 weeks since my last blog, and I apologize for the extended absence. In spite of my degree in computer science, I'm anything but a computer guy--it's a challenge for me to keep up. Ever since we took Late Nite to the Varsity, things have only accelerated at the church and in our home.

Last weekend, Rachel went to California with Pastor Dino and DyLynn, and a team of others from our church for a women's retreat in Danville. Needless to say, I was left with the daunting task of caring for 2 delightfully energetic daughters, maintaining a clean house, preaching the weekend services at HPC, and fending for myself at dinner time! I got an interesting revelation: you never know what you have until it goes out of town!! I tip my hat to all you moms who live in a realm of constant sacrifice--taking care of everything and everybody else before you consider your own needs. I couldn't have made it without the help of my in-laws, who opened up their home and enabled me to cash in on a couple of meals as well as study for the weekend services.

We're in a series at the church called "iLife" and identifying the values that support everything we do...my topic--Giving. Some people get nervous when you talk about giving in church. Honestly, I cannot remember a time when I had more fun! It was a wonderful experience to take a personal look at why Rachel and I give and how that value is shared and expressed in our church. I truly believe that HPC flourishes because it has been carried on the backs of men and women who are fully commited to giving in so many different ways. As a pastor on staff at our great church, I cannot even begin to articulate how humbling it is for me to be associated with such generous people.

After the final service on Sunday, I went to the Piccadilly in Gonzales with Rachel's parents...and wouldn't you know it, I could not walk out of there without someone buying our meal. Guess where they went to church!!! The next day, I bumped into another HPC family at the mall, and the lady told me, "I was in service yesterday--I heard what you said. I'm on a giving mission right now!" How exciting!! Just think: thousands of men and women have caught the spirit of generosity and are intentionally planning random acts of kindness all over this city...all for our Savior's glory! The kingdom of God is being advanced through human hands and human hearts, in something as simple as buying a meal for someone, passing out a bottled water at an intersection, buying a tank of gas for a stranger!! I cannot wait to hear the stories of life-change that come from the seeds that are being planted this week...rock on HPC!!

1 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mike i just found your blog...thanks for the effort to post for us to read you are a big part of our life ....thanks so much gary and beets

 

Post a Comment

<< Home