Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Going Home


This past weekend, Rachel and I packed up the girls and traveled to my home, southeast Missouri, to lay to rest one of the most precious ladies I have ever known--my Grandmother. Her 88 years on earth were marked by beauty, grace, gentleness, and compassion. My Paw Paw went to be with Jesus back in December, and I knew my MiMi was itching to go there too! What an incredible legacy she left for her 4 daughters, 8 grandkids, 13 great-grandkids, and 1 great-great grandchild! Our lives will be forever marked with her amazing imprint.

I called her on Valentine's Day of this year, knowing that the previous year, she and my Paw Paw had been crowned "King and Queen" Sweethearts of their nursing home in Sikeston. She was so pleased to be my Valentine and always took great joy in the love of her family. MiMi was always full of joy. She never once complained-never criticized, never had a cross word with anyone. She lived her life at an amazing level of selflessness. Even when in physical pain, she went out of her way to accomodate others.

I had the distinct privilege of speaking at her funeral, and of all the scriptures in the Bible, I thought Jeremiah 17:7-8 described her life best: "But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they go right on producing delicious fruit." MiMi's life was planted and rooted by the river of God's spirit, where she drew spiritual nourishment. The harsh ways of this world--the heat and drought it can bring--never bothered her...she was plugged into a different Source!

Her love for Christ influenced everything she did. Her faith shaped her life--and ours as well. She is Home now--in heaven where she wanted to be--and the testimony of her life serves as a road map for ours. Following it will bring us to the exact same destination!!

2 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike
this Dustin Marchand
I am sorry to hear about your grandparents. I pray that God will continue to lead through this difficult time. With all of his love Dustin

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

Sorry for your loss my friend. Her legacy is definitely being carried on through you and Rachel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home