Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving 07

Family trips have become an interesting adventure, especially now that Team Haman is up to 5 people. Our vehicle is shrinking, and our luggage is only growing. With bags packed, movies loaded, coloring books ready, and enough beef jerky in stock to bring us into the next millennium, we thought we were ready. Destination - Dallas; Estimated Driving Time - 8 hours; Departure - supposed to be 7am but didn't leave until noon!!! Mikaela had bronchitis, Trevor was running fever because of 3 shots the day before, and Alexa was still recovering from a sinus infection. We were a mobile medical unit...don't you just love the holidays?

We stopped in Tyler, TX to have dinner with some amazing friends of ours, my former college basketball coach, Tracy Gunter and his wonderful family--wife, Susan and children, Trevor (another T-rev) and Courtney.

We finally made it to Mom's house late that night, totally exhausted and grateful to be off the road. My sisters came in from Houston and Denver with their families, and the celebration was on! Does your family cook for an army? Mom made so much food--we had an incredible menu with so many choices. I couldn't decide on just one, so I sampled it all...again, and again, and again. Isn't it awesome the number of different ways you can eat turkey? Recreational eating and periodic naps have become the normal holiday routine for me.

The other joy I get from holiday gatherings is the enormous in-take of sports. Since I'm without cable at home, I feel a little sports-deprived. Making up for lost time, I went on an athletic binge of epic proportions. Obsessive-compulsive would be an understatement. It was non-stop football--I was having the same repetitive highlights in my dreams!! We even played bowling and tennis using a wii (talk about the crazy age of technology).

God has blessed me beyond measure and given me more than I could ever ask or deserve. It's a beautiful thing to sense the divine love of the Almighty and see His goodness and mercy all around me. I wake up in the morning, and there it is--His favor is waiting on me, guiding me through my day. It doesn't make sense. I can't figure it out. He's so good...and I'm so not. I pray my life will always reflect a spirit of gratitude and thankfulness to the One who laid down His life for me.



2 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wii bowling is the best!!! Happy Thanksgiving.

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the Broadwater 5 (Chris, Hilaria, Emma Grace, Rose Kathron & Maggie Frances), we're glad the Haman 5 had a great Thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home