Monday, August 27, 2007

30-Hour Airplane Power

Friday morning, after an amazing men's Bible study, I packed up my clothes, gathered my girls, and headed to the New Orleans airport. Our plans had been set: this trip would prove to be an incredible weekend to create some unforgettable father-daughter memories. It felt a little strange without Rachel being with us, but she packed us with enough snacks to feed an entire cafeteria of elementary school kids! "Keep your head on a swivel, don't talk on your cell phone too much, and don't let those girls out of your sight!" she warned. I had my orders to watch Alexa and Mikaela like a hawk.

We had a 4 hour layover in Atlanta, and I was in full military mode--no man (or in this case, daughter) left behind. The favor of God had to be on us because we discovered a kids play area right next to our departing gate! When we finally took our seats on the plane, the pilot informed us that a storm system had moved in and we would experience a slight delay. Two hours later we were still on the runway!!!! We finally were cleared to take off, and I must confess that Alexa and Mikaela were doing much better than I was.
Around midnight, we finally reached our destination. I've never seen so many lights in my life! The streets were packed with people--the city was alive. "We're not in Prairieville anymore kids," I surveyed. "Welcome to Las Vegas!" I know what you're thinking: "Now what's a pastor and his two daughters doing in Sin City for the weekend?" My youngest sister, Rebekah, was getting married--my daughters were flower girls, and I was officiating the wedding.
We only spent a total of 30 hours in Vegas, but during our short stay we saw a couple of interesting people. Ironically, Pete Rose was signing autographs at the shopping mall of Caesar's Palace. Later that night, we ran into Mr.T from the old school show called "A-Team." I knew he was an outspoken believer, so we slung a few scriptures at each other about being salt and light in a dark world, then flexed our biceps.

My sister was a gorgeous bride!! She married an Italian entrepreneur with an awesome name: Mike Mongelluzzo. It was so good to see my parents and family, even though we were in a strange city. The girls and I woke up at 4:30am the next morning to make the long trip home. My little sister is all grown up now. Congratulations to Mike and Rebekah on their new life together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home