Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Need for Speed

I commend those of you in the blog-sphere world who actually find the time to post every day. How do you do it?!! I envy you deeply as I struggle to find my way to the computer for a few quiet moments of thought and reflection. The best word to describe my summer experience is FAST...incredibly fast...and only accelerating!

We had 10 people staying at my house last weekend...that's a whole lot of toothpaste and toilet paper! My mom and her husband, Arlon came in from Texas, and our friends, Jeff and Candy Williams, who pastor in northeast Georgia, brought their two children--I love to listen to them talk...they're as country as the day is long!! We had a wonderful time together.

I guess the best comparison I can make when it comes to our need for speed happened a couple of weeks ago while we were in Florida. Rachel and I took the girls to a water park in Destin called Big Kahuna's--I've lived in Baton Rouge for 18 years and never been to a water park in my life--and this was awesome! When we first got there, we did a couple of small, harmless kiddie slides, and the girls were in heaven.

Then I looked up to the tallest point of the park and saw a towering black tunnel that twisted and turned like a pretzel. I grabbed Alexa and shouted, "Let's go!" With a shot of new adrenalin, we were hustling up several flights of stairs and reached the top platform where we had a great view of the city and read the name of the ride "Jumangi." It sounded like some tribal, torture technique, but we were undaunted in our pursuit of adventure. Alexa barely met the height requirement...I guess that should have clued me in as to the degree of difficulty.

We both entered our separate tunnels at the same time, crossed our hands and feet, and took off when we heard the whistle. It was pitch black in the tunnel, so there was absolutely no way to predict the next turn. As I picked up speed to about mach 3, I entered a new level of prayer and intercession that I had never experienced before. I was moving so fast that I couldn't even screem because I was choking on a mouthful of water. Then it hit me...if I'm 32 years old and panicing like a little 3rd grade girl, what is my little 3rd grade girl feeling right now!!!

We came out of our tunnels and hit the pool at the same time. Alexa was in tears, holding her stomach. I immediately rushed over to her, realizing that I had probably just won the "Loser Dad of the Year" award. I asked if she was ok, and through her tears, all she could say was, "Daddy, how could you?!"

Sometimes we have to step into our worst moments in order to gain our best perspective. I spent the rest of my time in the wading pool trying to avoid kids in yellow water! Slow down this summer and enjoy life.

3 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your a stud!!!

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Gabriella said...

Hey Mike!
Long time! How are you and Rachel doing? Your girls are lovely! I'm doing well....married now 1yr and 9 months to my wonderful husband Mark Pentecost. We are doing great. We live in Lakeland Florida. We are also part of his parent's church. We both sing with the praise team. God has been doing some awesome things. Well you take care and hope to hear from you soon.
Be Bless!
Gabriella Pentecost

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Angel Turner Dyke said...

Mike-
Don't feel bad! One of our favorite family photos is the 4 of us at Silver Dollar City on the log ride. All 3 of us were smiling, but not Rebekah who was 3 at the time. She had a look of sheer terror on her face right before we took the plunge. We still haven't lived it down-- so Alexa will be rubbing your nose in this for years! It's all good-- a part of the parenthood ritual. Tell Rachel hi, and we'd love to see ya'll soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home