Thursday, August 10, 2006

Showers of Blessings

I apologize for the silence...once again. When Pastor Dino is out of pocket, my life gets incredibly busy--I have a new respect and appreciation for his schedule--and blogging is one of the last things on my mind. We taught on being relevant this weekend at HPC, and I have to confess, I had a blast!! It's such an honor to be able to stand before the incredible people of our church and learn God's Word together. Rachel and I have been on staff for over a decade (I started fresh out of college when I was only 22 years old), and many of the families at HPC have watched us grow up. From the youth ministry days of Crosswalk--with only a handful of teenagers meeting in an unfinished studio--until now, there is no other place I would rather be!

Yesterday was full of surprises. I was scheduled to speak 3 times, 3 different messages (Pastor Dino's Bible study, Life U., and Late Nite), and my day was spent hibernating in a cave I call my office. Sermon preparation can be an interesting thing: sometimes it's so effortless and easy that I can't write in my notepad fast enough...other times it's a grueling task of scratching and clawing just to hammer out a few coherent thoughts. Take a wild guess which experience was mine! After the all-day wrestling match in my office (Bibles and commentaries scattered everywhere), my preparations were complete, and I was finally ready to say something.

Out of nowhere, the electrical thunderstorm of the century hit Baton Rouge around 4:30pm. I felt like Chicken Little trying to tell everyone that the sky was falling. Traffic was backed up, streets were flooded, and the power at the church was completely knocked out, so we had no choice but to cancel services. With all the effort and study I had put into those messages, I couldn't let it be in vain. So that night at the house, I gathered Rachel and the girls in our living room and preached my heart out for 3 hours...1 person almost got saved, 1 person fell asleep, and the other 1 threatened to leave and start her own church! We did, however, collect a record-breaking offering of several crayons and leggos!

4 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Betsy Smith said...

Wish we could get some rain here in East Texas. Mike, I really enjoy reading your blog and know exactly what you mean about the sermon prep. You always make it look so effortless though. Reading your blog brought back the old memories of Crosswalk and "Jubilee Roots".Those were the days. Keep being faithful!

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Antoinette said...

Mike you are too funny!! I wish it could still be like the "old days". I sure do miss that!! Love ya,net.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

all I can say is that it took us over an hour to get to Refuge. A drive that normally takes 30+ minutes. It definately was worth it though.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Carole Turner said...

My neice just went back to Florida after staying the summer with me. She is 17 and goes back to a very un-Christian home and friends. Each summer God touches her more and more. She loves him but the world swallows her up everytime she returns home.BUT thank God, you preached on relevance last wednesday @ late night. She really got it and even posted all her notes on her my space! She needed that word before going back. God gave that to you just for her ;-)
So, thanks. It was a word that I think will help her fight the good fight, make it through her senior year and get back up here next summer-that's what I am believing for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home